Love Food Hate Waste have teamed up with Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment and AO.com to celebrate the DVD release of Ice Age 5: Collision Course and deliver the Mammoth Family Freeze!
Each year we throw away 7 million tonnes of food from our homes, much of which could be used to make many more delicious meals. Christmas in particular is a time of food excess and so much of this will end up in the bin. But this year the fight against food waste in on and a few familiar faces are leading the way…
The Mammoth Family Freeze, led by Sid, Scrat, Manny and other members of the Ice Age 5 team, is all about embracing our freezers during the festive season to help save good food going to waste and put a few extra pennies in our pockets. By realising that ‘your freezer is your friend’, you can make a big contribution to tackling the issue of food waste.
A few top tips from the Ice Age team…
- Grated cheese can be frozen and used as a pizza topping
- Freeze fresh herbs in an ice cube tray filled with oil
- Boil potatoes for minutes, freeze and thaw out for next week’s Sunday roast.
- Keep the freezer door closed to prevent unwanted temperature fluctuation
- Remember you can store food right up to its use by date before freezing
- Add date labels to better organise your ‘use by’ meal plan