A comforting dessert of spiced apples and pears with creamy rice pudding and a sweet sticky fig coulis. (Serves 6)
Less than 30 mins preparation time – 30 mins to 1 hour cooking time
- 500ml/18fl oz milk
- 500ml/18fl oz cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split open
- 200g/7oz pudding rice
- 1 x 397g/14oz tin condensed milk
- 3 plums, sliced
- 100g/3½oz brown sugar
- 100g/3½oz butter
- 6 figs, cut into chunks
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 apple
- 1 pear
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 small stick cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sugar, for the fig coulis
- Add the milk, cream and vanilla pod to a large pan, and bring to the boil.
- Add the rice and stir well.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for around 20 minutes, or until the rice is just cooked. Stir frequently to avoid the rice sticking the base.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Lay the sliced plums on a baking tray and sprinkle liberally with brown sugar and dot with butter.Roast in a hot oven for about 10 minutes, or until soft and juicy. Set aside
- Once the rice has cooked, over a gentle heat stir in the condensed milk.
- Put the figs in a pan with three tablespoons of water and two tablespoons of the caster sugar. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat, transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Slice the other fruits. Place them in a pan and cover with two more tablespoons of caster sugar and four tablespoons of water and bring to the boil. Add a star anise and a small stick of cinnamon and cook until the fruits are soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool.
- Serve the rice pudding with the fruits on the top and the fig coulis spooned over the plate.
By Stephanie Moon
From Chefs: Put Your Menu Where Your Mouth Is