22nd – 28th June
‘Recycle Week is a celebration of everything about recycling’. Organised by WRAP under the Recycle Now brand, it is now in its 12th year and aims to encourage people to recycle more things, more often.
This year’s theme is ‘Recycling Around the Home’ and will focus on raising the public’s awareness that there are lots of items that they can recycle from all around the home that they might not previously have thought about recycling.
To mark the event and to help Merton residents recycle even more, we asked Merton Council’s Recycling Encouragement Manager, Jane Alexander, to share a few of her top tips for recycling at home…
- Put all recycling into the same container.
- Rinse and clean recycling so it is free from food.
- Don’t forget, we collect empty aerosols and all plastic bottles – including shampoo and bleach bottles.
- Put out as much recycling as you like; we will collect it!
- Labels, caps and lids can all be recycled.
- Flatten cardboard and squash plastic bottles.
- Remember to use our food-waste collection service.
As well as recycling unwanted household items, many can also be reused to make anything from flower vases, artwork, jewellery, new toys… the list is endless!
The ‘Style Junkies’ recycled costume competition and exhibition (run by Merton Council as part of Merton’s Mega Recycle campaign) is a great example of how waste material can be transformed in such creative ways!
Click HERE to find out more about the exhibition and the FREE ‘Drop-In Workshops’ taking place throughout July.
Visit merton.gov.uk/recycling or call 020 8274 4902 for more information on recycling in Merton.